Keep on Top of What's on Top of Your House and Avoid a Costly Replacement
Get In Touch With Local ProsGet Free Quotes Now
Most people never pay attention to their roof until something goes wrong. This is very unwise, however, as the roof is one of the most important parts of a house. While regular roof maintenance can add years to the life of a roof, no matter how well it's maintained, repairs will eventually be necessary.
Common Roof Repairs
A properly installed roof may not require upkeep for a decade or more, but over time winds, precipitation, fallen debris, and impacts conspire to necessitate roof repairs. Skylights are particularly susceptible to damage.
Roof maintenance and repairs, fortunately, tend to be simple and inexpensive, especially when compared to replacing your entire roof. A rundown of typical roof repairs is provided below.
- Asphalt and wood shingles often get damaged or torn from high winds and falling debris. They should be repaired or replaced immediately to protect the integrity of the roof.
- Roof openings and valleys, including chimneys, skylights, and vents, are common areas of repair. Roof flashing often fails or is improperly installed in these areas. Roof valleys wear fast due to water runoff and generally need repairing before other spots.
- A section of roof deck (the wood underneath the roof covering) may need replacement if a leak has persisted for some time. These repairs can be costly but are necessary for structural soundness.
- Flat roof repairs are often needed because of foot traffic, but dirt and debris also damage the rubber membrane. Repairs can be as simple as a small patch of rubber and cement, provided that the leak isn't allowed to penetrate the insulation and supporting structure.
- Slate and tile roofs often need shingle replacement, as these materials can break easily. Replacing slate and tile shingles, however, is much more costly than for other roof types.
- Metal roofs typically fail due to improper fastener sealing or paint deterioration that results in rusting and cracking. To prevent panel replacement, attend to leaks immediately.
Roof Repair Considerations
A leaky roof can do a lot more damage than you might think. Left untreated, a leak can rot away a roof's structure and insulation as well as damage interior living spaces. Repairing roof damage, even if no leak exists, could potentially save you thousands in unwanted home repairs.
- The best defense against water damage is frequent roof inspections. It's advisable to visually inspect the roof after any severe weather. An inspection from the roof itself - if you don't mind heights - is the best way to spot damage.
- Algae and moss growth considerably accelerate roof diminishment. Have your roof cleaned of these organisms to extend its life.
- A leaking roof can wreak havoc inside of your home. Sheetrock sags and fails when it comes into contact with water. Mold develops on anything that has been water-damaged and must be removed and replaced on account of health concerns.
Roof Repair Costs
- Hiring a qualified roofing contractor typically costs $50 to $75 per hour, and you should expect to pay this much as a bare minimum for any repair, no matter how minor.
- Basic asphalt or wood shingle repairs can usually be completed in a single work day. Expect to pay $500 to $800 for an 8 hour repair job, including materials.
- Roof repairs involving deck replacement take up to two days to complete and should cost between $800 and $1,500 for a 10' x 10' area.
- Slate and tile shingle repairs average $50 to $75 per shingle.
- Metal roof repairs often cost as little as $100; extensive repairs involving dent fixing and fastener replacement may cost as much as $400 per panel.
- Repairing a flat roof is labor-intensive, as finding the leak is often much harder than repairing it. Once pinpointed, the leak can usually be repaired for $100 or less.
- Skylight replacement typically costs around $400 to $700, plus the cost of the skylight.
- Please note that actual roof repair prices fluctuate considerably based on the roof type and the specific damage.
Compare Free Roof Repair Price Quotes From Local Professionals
Receive no-cost roof repair estimates from prescreened and licensed pros in your area. Compare contractors and costs side by side to get the best services at the best price. Save time and money with this fast, easy, and free service!